"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Our Family

Our Family

Friday, March 4, 2011

The American Dream...It sounds good doesn't it? But God has called us to more than this.

Prior to November 16, 2010, my dreams included things like taking the whole family on a Disney Cruise, buying a new car (our old Yukon now has 150,000+ miles on it!), going on a trip to Europe someday, etc. etc. While there's nothing wrong with any of these things, God has given me new dreams that now rank much higher. Now I dream of a little girl with spiral curls, or a little boy with chocolate brown eyes. I dream of traveling to a place that has few roads, where the people are not dressed in designer clothing but they are generous with what little they have and they welcome you with a smile. I dream of holding a child close to my chest and letting them know they are loved and secure, a child who would otherwise not have anyone to hold him or her and love them this way.

It would have been SO easy to continue to coast through life and live out the American Dream. To be honest with you, I'm afraid that's what I've been doing for quite sometime now. Oh sure, we went to church every Sunday and read our Bible but did we really live it out? Were we really taking His words to heart and letting the Gospel transform all areas in our lives? Or were we coasting along and keeping God in His own little box? God did not call us to coast. I am convinced that one day when I meet Him face to face, He will not say "Valerie, I wish you had kept more for yourself. I wish you had gone on more grand vacations. I wish you had bought yourself a nicer home or car, etc." What's funny is that I once thought that getting to do all those things was such a blessing but none of those things could have blessed us as much as this adoption process has. Please don't misunderstand - there is NOTHING about the adoption process that is easy. Adoption is hard. Can I just tell you that? It is VERY hard, this adopting thing. It costs a lot of money. It takes a lot of time. It is an emotional roller coaster. The waiting is sometmes unbearable. It is stressful and taxing on your family. It is very hurtful when some friends and family aren't supportive at all. It is discouraging when you hear bad news from the Embassy about the process slowing down due to corruption in the government. BUT.. it is also exhilerating to be following God's will. It is awesome to have so many praying for us and for our child. It is rewarding to know that God has a plan for us and for our son or daughter.

We've been very up front about the fact that we've decided to adopt because we were called by God to do this. The Bible is VERY clear that we are ALL called to love and care for the orphans and widows. Some families may not be called to adopt but we are ALL called to do something whether it be volunteering at the TN Baptist Children's Home, helping widows with their chores/home upkeep, supporting a family that's adopting by praying for them or lending financial support, etc. I want to "borrow" a few words here from a friends blog - Candi, I hope you don't mind but you said this SO well. Candi wrote "I want to challenge you to really help those who are willing to bring in another child. It is not something you wake up one morning and think, "hmm, I think I'll adopt." It is a long and strenuous process that only God can put together. Pray over that and see where you are supposed to fit in. None of us were called to coast - we were called to do God's work. And I promise you, you are in the plan to care for the orphans. If we all did our part, wow, just imagine the work God could do for orphans."

God does not call us to be successful. He calls us to be faithful to the task. Even when it's outside our comfort zone. More than that. I would say instead, ESPECIALLY when it's outside our comfort zone.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment