"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you." John 14:18

Our Family

Our Family

Monday, January 17, 2011

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Today is MLK day and I must confess that while I've always thought of him as a very honorable man who stood for good principals and died much too young, we haven't ever done anything special on this day to celebrate it as a holiday. We may now though. I read my sweet friend Kelly's blog today - for those of you who don't already read it, you should. It's www.ordinaryheroblog.blogspot.com. She reminded me today of some of the exceptional words that Mr. King spoke and how he stood for His God and for the call God placed on his life. It is amazing how differently his speeches touch me now that I know the black child he's referring to could be my child. Some of his words that jumped out at me most were these:

"I HAVE A DREAM.....that little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers." Martin Luther King, Jr August 28th, 1963 Lincoln Memorial, Washington, DC

I have that dream too. Within my own family.

"I HAVE A DREAM that my children will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I think most of us would agree with these statements as we know as Christians that God loves us all - red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight - but now that I will have a black son or daughter, I can identify with this on a very emotional level.

Interestingly enough, Mr. King's very last speech was the one where he said "I've been to the mountaintop" and he goes on to say that he'd like to live a long life but he's not concerned about that now because he just wants to do God's will. He does not fear any man because his eyes have seen the Glory of the coming of the Lord.

How ironic that soon after that, his life would be taken and he would get to meet our Savior face to face. Mr. King left this world long before I was even born but I have the assurance through God's salvation, of knowing I'll get to meet him one sweet day.

Blessings,
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment